EQUIPMENT

LOCOMOTIVES

The Countess of Dufferin was built in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania by M.Baird (Baldwin Factory) for the Northern Pacific and delivered to Breckenridge, Minnesota in February 1872. Worked as Northern Pacific #21 in the Minnesota and Dakota Territories until delivered to St. Boniface (Winnipeg) in October 1877, by barge down the Red River from Fisher Landing, Minnesota to work on the Canadian Government Contract #5 (Construction of the Pembina Branch which linked Winnipeg with St. Paul, Minnesota) In 1833 she was renumbered CPR #151 construct track between Winnipeg, the Lakehead and Golden, B.C. , where she was sold to the Columbia River Lumber Company. In 1909 she was returned to the city and put on display at several locations around the city. In October 1972 with the help of CP Rail, CN Rail and Via Rail Canada The Countess of Dufferin was placed on permanent display in the Winnipeg Railway Museum on Track 1 in Via Rails Union Station.

  

CNR 2747 (class N-5-c, 2-8-0) First steam locomotive built in western Canada at CNR's Transcona shops, Winnipeg, MB in April 1926. (On permanent display in Kiwanis Park, off Plessis Road in Transcona).

 

 

CNR 6043 (class U-1-d, 4-8-2) Last CNR locomotive to run scheduledservice in Canada. Built 1928 by the Canadian Locomotive Works. ( On permanent display in Assiniboine Park, off Roblin Blvd ).

CNR 1900 (GMD1) A 12 cylinder, 1200 HP diesel electric locomotive built by General Motors in 1958. First of a series of passenger locomotives equiped with a steam generator. Stored serviceable. 

  

 

 

 

 

 Plymouth 35 Ton - Small yard engine built in 1930 by the Plymouth Locomotive Works, Plymouth, Ohio, U.S.A. Worked with the City of Winnipeg, hauling gravel. Donated to the Museum by the City of Winnipeg 

Davenport Mid-Cab Locomotive

Hydro #4 (860 in latest renumbering) Built in October, 1927 by the Davenport Locomotive Works of Davenport, Iowa.  Purchased new by Hydro from Mumford Medland of Winnipeg. Serial #2112; total weight 20 tons; 2 - 125HP Continental gasoline engines; 4 - 25HP traction motors (1 per axle); 12,000 lbs tractive effort; top speed 25 mph.  Cummins 160HP diesel engines installed in 1966.  The snowplow and wings were installed by Hydro. 

The engine was used both for freight and passenger service.  It could haul several hundred tons of level track. The engine was retired in 2001 due to the difficulty of finding replacement parts, and donated to the museum in 2004 by Manitoba Hydro.  It was driven to the Museum from the CN Symington Yards, and was used in September 2004 to rearrange the equipment on display to make room for itself. 

The diesel engines at both ends of the locomotive work, but only one end can be used because the traction motor on one axle is ruined: it skidded on a stretch of track covered with caterpillars and ran out of control, burning its armature out.  We do have a replacement motor but not the facilities to install it!

Hudson Bay Mining & Smelting electric locomotive # 95 a 20 ton General Electric (250 Volt) locomotive serial  # 10798 was built  in 1926 and retired in 1996. She worked in the smelter in Flin Flon, Manitoba.

OTHER EQUIPMENT

CPR Track inspection car M300 was built in the 1970's by D. Wickham Co. of Great Britian. The type 42 inspection car is serial #11169. 1 of only 5 ever imported to Canada.

City of Winnipeg track inspection car, a 1946 Packard original rebuilt for the CPR to run on rails was later purchased by the Greater Winnipeg Water District in 1953 and use on the G.W.W.D. railway serving Winnipeg's water Aqueduct between Shoal Lake inlet and the G.W.W.D. Railway yard in St. Boniface till 1974.

Whiting Class 5TMG Trackmobilebuilt by the Whiting Corporation, Harvey, Illinois. Purchased and operated by Manitoba Hydro on construction projects in Northern Manitoba ending its operating life as Kelsey Number 1. Made serviceable after purchase by Midwestern Rail Association in 1975.
Serial Number 5TMG-5447
5TM Torque Converter

Mac B-1 Railbus built in April 1922, by the Mack International Motor Company (Mack Trucks Inc.) of Allentown, Pennsylvania, for the Northern Pacific Railroad. Purchased by Winnipeg Hydro in January 1929, for a price of $5,706.78.
The B1 ran a regularly scheduled service from Pointe du Bois to Lac du Bonnet carrying freight, mail and passengers until the Lac du Bonnet line was abandoned in 1962 in favour of road service. 
At one time, when diesel-electric locomotive was out of service and B1 was pressed into temporary service to haul, via flatcars, two crawler tractors and a tandem dump truck.
Mack Model AC
Body by McGuire-Cummings. Originally powered by a Mack 4 cylinder 40 HP engine.

ROLLING STOCK

Canadian National Railways #7188 Combination Car (Passenger/Baggage) was originally ordered by the Canadian Northern Railway in March 1919, as a Colonist Car and delivered to the Canadian National Railways as their number 7267 in 1921.
This car was re-numbered by the Canadian National in November 1921 as CNR 2817. In September 1955, this car was re-built into a combination car and re-numbered CNR 7188. The car was retired from the CNR on May 24th, 1977 and retains the last colour scheme used by the railway prior to the introduction of VIA.
Donated to the Midwestern Rail Association in June 1977.
Builder: Canadian Car & Foundry, Montreal

Canadian National Baggage Car CN 77553  is somewhat of a mystery and does not appear to match Canadian National's records which state this car was built by the Pullman Company, June 19th, 1922 for the Armes Yaeger Railroad as AYRX 3033.
The car was purchased by Canadian National in November 1946 and renumbered CN 8959 by London Shops on June 30th, 1947. This car remained in passenger service until June 1966 when the Prairie Region converted the car to Work Equipment as a storage car renumbered CN 74626.
The car was finally retired on May 24th, 1977 and donated to Midwestern Rail Association in June 1977.

CNR Baggage cars #57630 & #57637 were built in March 1920, two of 20 such cars to specification BA-73-A, Lot 489 by the Canadian Car & Foundry, Montreal, Quebec.
The original cars had four windows on each side, but was re-built in 1945 and the windows were removed.In 1973 it was assigned to work car service, given number CNR57630, rebuilt inside for duty in Kamloops, BC with the Signals Department of CN Rail. The car received many paint schemes over the years and is now painted in the scheme for passenger trains during the early 1950s.

Car #57630 houses our Communication and Signals Displays

Car #57637 houses our workshops and is home to our ART GALLERY.

CN developed a program to modernize its fleet of cabooses which saw the gradual elimination of the approximately 1150 wooden cars and their replacement by steel-shelled units boasting a host of new comfort, convenience, and safety features. The principal new feature will be the introduction of electricity, derived from axle, driven generators, which will produce for lighting, refrigeration, hot plates, market lights, radio telephones and incinerating toilets.
A second innovation of the new cabooses will be a wide vision glassed cupola which will be placed at the top centre of the car to afford crewmen a better view of the train. Integral parts of this new cupola will be safety glass, wind deflectors and electric windshield wipers.Included among new features for the comfort of the crew are such luxuries as upholstered swivel chairs with safety head rests in both the cupola and conductor's desk, two modern oil stoves, one equipped for cooking, overhead safety grab-irons, draft-free aluminum windows, and a plentiful supply of water for washing and cooking.
The new car will be five feet longer than the old type caboose and will feature roller bearings, specially designed wheel sets and shock absorbing underframes to smooth the ride. The first contract for 150 of the new units was awarded to Hawker Siddeley Canada Ltd., Montreal. The steel shells were built at its Trenton, NS works with the cars being completed at its Montreal plant. The estimated cost per unit is in the neighborhood of $40,000.
This whole project came about as a result of collaboration between CN officials and heads of the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen. It had been five years in the works and included the construction of a prototype caboose (No. 79184) which aided in the ironing out of a number of basic operational problems which came to light in the course of 79184's service on a variety of runs.




Built in the 1880's this caboose was purchased from the CPR by the Greater Winnipeg Water District for use on their Shoal Lake Line.

CPR Reefer Cars #5641 & #5644 where built August 1922 and May 1926 by Canadian Car & Foundry. Used basically to handle passenger service with perishable foods and meats.  Ended service life as Star 202, a storage unit at CP's Weston Shops in Winnipeg. The two cars are the last of their kind in Canada.

Museum flat cars were completely restored two years ago, including original CP lettering. These cars were originally designed to be part of the Countess of Dufferin work train. 1880s rail is loaded on one of the flat cars as part of the display.

Canadian National Boxcar CN 74703 Originally built for Canadian National by National Steel Car Co. in July 1929 as a 50 ton, steel frame, wood clad boxcar. Canadian National numbered the boxcar CN 505370. Car was re-built for work service in January 1976 and renumbered CN 74703.
Retired from service May 24th, 1977, and donated to Midwestern Rail in June 1977 by CN Rail.

MOW EQUIPMENT


CN 51031 Jordan Spreader built by O.N. Jordan East Chicago, Indiana, U.S.A.
Donated by CN North 1994
Ex Canadian Government Railways CGR 295070, EX Canadian Northern Railway #?
Built 1911, Builders Number 214

Function: Plow, shape ballast, CLT foul ballast away from tie ends, spread fills, widen embankments and cuts, establish new drainage ditches, shape banks in shallow or steep cuts, clean and restore old ditches, profile a true, uniform roadbed cross section, re-distribute ballast, build up roadbed, level sub-grade 1, establishing parallel track, scarify right-of-way to reduce vegetation, snow clearing, ice cutting, etc.
A very versatile piece of maintenance of way equipment.


Midland Railway of Manitoba Plough X1645 originally built for Great Northern Railroad in their shops at St. Cloud in 1918, as GN95259. On January 6th, 1927 it was re-numbered X1645. It was re-built in 1943 and served in the area of Whitefish, Montana, up until 1959.
Ended service in Winnipeg working Midland Railway of Manitoba (a Great Northern subsidiary) on the Letellier Sub Division and tracks in Winnipeg in 1964.
Donated to Midwestern Railway Association by Burlington Northern (Manitoba) Ltd. in 1977.

Canadian Pacific Railway Flangerex-CP 400487  a wood flanger, was built in 1926 as CP 400487. Used on railway tracks to remove snow and spread ballast.

CPR Ballister  CPR BALLISTER

CPR TAMPER  

VELOCIPEDE DONATED BY WINNIPEG CITY HYDRO RAILWAY, POINT DU BOIS, MB

PUMP HAND CART DONATED BY WINNIPEG CITY HYDRO RAILWAY POINT DU BOIS, MB

The top motor car pictured  is NW Motor Car No. 1540. This car was manufactured by North Western Motor Company in Eau Claire Wisconsin, USA, and was donated by Winnipeg Hydro, Pointe du Bois, MB. This motor car is chain driven with a 8 1/4 hp, Briggs & Stratton 4 cycle gas engine.
The lower motor car pictured left is a Fairmont, class M19, series H, group 1. It was manufactured by Fairmont Railway Motors Ltd. in Toronto ON. This motor car is belt driven with a 6 hp engine.

OTHER VEHICLES

Weston Shops Ladder & Hose Wagon

This fire truck is a Ford AA manufactured in 1929. It is a hose and ladder truck of a type frequently used to supplement pumpers and ladder trucks at the scene of fires. As such, it was ideal for certain industrial sites where its lack of pumping capability was not important.
The truck was purchased by Canadian Pacific and assigned to its Weston Shops, Winnipeg, Manitoba where it was stationed until retired.
In 1981 it was completely refurbished by employees of Weston Shops as part of the company's 1981 Centennial celebrations. It is equipped with ladders, brass fire extinguishers and fire hose connectors.
This fire truck is in superb condition and as a result of the 1981 refurbishing, is fully operational.
Although many of these fire trucks were built, it is believed that few have been preserved. In addition, the fact that it was an important component of CPR shop operations throughout its active service life of over 50 years gives added significance to it. Some similar specimens may exist in fire equipment museums in North America, but it is certain that none of them is in better condition than this one, and that they do not enjoy the association with the railway industry that this artifact does.
Purchased from Dominion Motors as a hose and ladder truck in 1929. Appropriation No. M-2-44 at a cost of $2987.
Refurbished by Weston Shops Forces.
Original mileage 5020.

CNR G 12 a 1920 Ford Model T Truck built by the Laurie Wagon and Carriage Co. Ltd.

It was the mode of motorization from hourse & wagon to truck by Canadian National Express. This type of vehicle was general used for light pickup and delivery. It quickly became obselite with the introduction on metral cab & heavier duty trucks in 1928. This vehicle is fully restored.

1941 Chevrolet Pumper Truck
Used by the Canadian National Railways Transcona Shops Fire Department, Winnipeg, Manitoba. This pumper truck has a 4 cylinder gas engine and 4 speed transmission. It was donated to the Midwestern Rail Association by CN Rail, with 5,773 original miles.

National Cartage and Storage Limited - Truck #89 a 1941 1 1/2 ton Fargo, work out of National Cartage warehouse in Winnipeg's east freight yards, behind Union Station.

1955 International S 160 2 - Ton Truck operated by Manitoba Cartage and Storage until retired in 1979.