Rolling Stock

 

 

Baggage Cars  |  Box Cars  |  Cabooses  |  Plows  |  Reefer Cars  |


 

 

Baggage Cars

 

Primarily used for carrying passengers' baggage and once retired from passenger service, used for maintenance of way equipment.

 

 

Canadian National Railways #7188 Combination Car (Passenger/Baggage)

 

 

Originally ordered by the Canadian Northern Railway in March 1919, as a Colonist Car and delivered to the Canadian National Railways as their number 7267 in 1921.

The Canadian Northern Railway formed a part of the Canadian National Railway System.

This car was re-numbered by the Canadian National in November 1921 as CNR 2817.

 

 

In September 1955, this car was re-built into a combination car and re-numbered CNR 7188.


The car was retired from the CNR on May 24th, 1977 and retains the last colour scheme used by the railway prior to the introduction of VIA.

Donated to the Midwestern Rail Association in June 1977.

Builder: Canadian Car & Foundry, Montreal
 

 

 

Length 84'0"
Width 10'0"
Height 14'1" +/-
Weight 124,000 lbs +/- (56,246kg)

 

 

 

Canadian National Baggage Car CN 77553

 

 

This car's history is somewhat of a mystery and does not appear to match Canadian National's records which state this car was built by the Pullman Company, June 19th, 1922 for the Armes Yaeger Railroad as AYRX 3033.

The car was purchased by Canadian National in November 1946 and renumbered CN 8959 by London Shops on June 30th, 1947. This car remained in passenger service until June 1966 when the Prairie Region converted the car to Work Equipment as a storage car renumbered CN 74626.

The car was finally retired on May 24th, 1977 and donated to Midwestern Rail Association in June 1977.

 

Length 60'0"
Width 2"
Height 14'1"
Weight 133,600 lbs +/- (60,6

 

#8645

 


This car was built in March 1920, one of 20 such cars to specification BA-73-A, Lot 489 by the Canadian Car & Foundry, Montreal, Quebec.

The original car had four windows on each side, but was re-built in 1945 and the windows were removed.

 

 

 

 


In 1973 it was assigned to work car service, given number CNR57630, rebuilt inside for duty in Kamloops, BC with the Signals Department of CN Rail.

 

The car received many paint schemes over the years and is now painted in the scheme for passenger trains during the early 1950s.

Acquired by Midwestern Rail Association on the 20th of May, 1997.
 

 

 

 

#57637

 

 

 

 

Purchased from Canadian National Railway, this baggage car houses the museums office and tool room.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Box Cars

 

Used for transporting a varied of goods

 

Canadian National Boxcar CN 74703

 

 

 

Originally built for Canadian National by National Steel Car Co. in July 1929 as a 50 ton, steel frame, wood clad boxcar. Canadian National numbered the boxcar CN 505370. Car was re-built for work service in January 1976 and renumbered CN 74703.

Retired from service May 24th, 1977, and donated to Midwestern Rail in June 1977 by CN Rail.
 

 

 

Length 40'0"
Width 8'10"
Height 14'10"
Weight 46,800 lbs +/- (21,228kg)

 

 

Cabooses

 

The last car on a freight train, having kitchen and sleeping facilities for the train crew.
 

 

CN Steel Caboose

 

 

CN developed a program to modernize its fleet of cabooses which saw the gradual elimination of the approximately 1150 wooden cars and their replacement by steel-shelled units boasting a host of new comfort, convenience, and safety features. The principal new feature will be the introduction of electricity, derived from axle, driven generators, which will produce for lighting, refrigeration, hot plates, market lights, radio telephones and incinerating toilets.

A second innovation of the new cabooses will be a wide vision glassed cupola which will be placed at the top centre of the car to afford crewmen a better view of the train. Integral parts of this new cupola will be safety glass, wind deflectors and electric windshield wipers.
 

 

Included among new features for the comfort of the crew are such luxuries as upholstered swivel chairs with safety head rests in both the cupola and conductor's desk, two modern oil stoves, one equipped for cooking, overhead safety grab-irons, draft-free aluminum windows, and a plentiful supply of water for washing and cooking.

The new car will be five feet longer than the old type caboose and will feature roller bearings, specially designed wheel sets and shock absorbing underframes to smooth the ride.

 

The first contract for 150 of the new units was awarded to Hawker Siddeley Canada Ltd., Montreal. The steel shells were built at its Trenton, NS works with the cars being completed at its Montreal plant. The estimated cost per unit is in the neighborhood of $40,000.

This whole project came about as a result of collaboration between CN officials and heads of the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen. It had been five years in the works and included the construction of a prototype caboose (No. 79184) which aided in the ironing out of a number of basic operational problems which came to light in the course of 79184's service on a variety of runs.
 

Greater Water District Railway Caboose



This caboose was purchased used by the Greater Winnipeg Water District from Canadian Pacific for use on Shoal Lake line.

Caboose leased by Midwestern Rail from the City of Winnipeg.
 

 

 

 

 

 

Length over couplers 41'6"
Length over body 33'6"
Width 8'8"
Height 12'8" above railhead
Approx. weight 44,500 lbs (20,185kg)
Truck axle centres 5'2" +/-
Truck centres 20'9" +/-

 

 

Plows

 

Used on railway tracks to remove snow and spread ballast.

 

Canadian Pacific Railway Flanger
ex-CP 400487

Ex-CP 400487, a wood flanger, was built in 1926 as CP 400487. It was purchased by the Midwestern Rail Association in 1979 from Cp Rail. Cp 400487 is now on display inside the Winnipeg Railway Museum.

 

Length

30'0"

Width

9'0"

Height

15'4"

Weight

38,000 lbs

 

 

Midland Railway of Manitoba Plough X1645

 

Originally built for Great Northern Railroad in their shops at St. Cloud in 1918, as GN95259. On January 6th, 1927 it was re-numbered X1645. It was re-built in 1943 and served in the area of Whitefish, Montana, up until 1959.

Ended service in Winnipeg working Midland Railway of Manitoba (a Great Northern subsidiary) on the Letellier Sub Division and tracks in Winnipeg in 1964.

Donated to Midwestern Railway Association by Burlington Northern (Manitoba) Ltd. in 1977.
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

When donated to Association plough was complete with all equipment and tools.

 

Length

60'0"

Width

11'0"

Height

15'0" +/-

Weight

44,500 lbs +/- (20,185kg)

 

 

 

CN 51031 Jordan Spreader

 

 

 

Built by O.N. Jordan
East Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.
Donated by CN North 1994

Ex Canadian Government Railways CGR 295070, EX C No R?
Built 1911, Builders Number 214
Delivered to track 1 on October 28, 1994, 14:00 hours.

 

 

Function: Plow, shape ballast, CLT foul ballast away from tie ends, spread fills, widen embankments and cuts, establish new drainage ditches, shape banks in shallow or steep cuts, clean and restore old ditches, profile a true, uniform roadbed cross section, re-distribute ballast, build up roadbed, level sub-grade 1, establishing parallel track, scarify right-of-way to reduce vegetation, snow clearing, ice cutting, etc.

A very versatile piece of maintenance of way equipment.
 

 

Reefer Cars

 

Used basically to handle passenger service with perishable foods and meats.

 

Canadian Pacific Railway Express Reefer
ex-CP 280600
nee-CP 5xxx

 

Ex-CP 280600, a wood express reefer, was built in June, 1929 as CP 5xxx by Canadian Car and Foundry. Ended service life as Star 202, a storage unit at CP's Weston Shops in Winnipeg. CP 280600 was purchased by Midwestern Rail Association in October 1979 from CP Rail. It is now in storage inside the Winnipeg Railway Museum.

 

Length

45'10"

Width

9'0"

Height

12'8" +/-

Weight

60,000 lbs

 

top